I set myself a goal of 40 books on Goodreads this year, which I’m happy to say I’ve beaten by 8 books!
I expanded my reading selection out a little this year to try and bring more queer literature into my life. Obviously a combo of queer and speculative fiction (my own niche market) is ideal, but either/or works as well.
How did I choose favourites? By thinking about stories that have stuck with me, that moved me, and that forced me to learn something new, to be enlightened through reading and understanding. Reading is a transcendent experience, when done with such talented authors.
So, in no particular order, my top books of 2018.
- The Broken Earth Series (The Fifth Season, The Obelisk Gate, The Stone Sky) by N.K. Jemisin
- Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
- Blindsight by Peter Watts
- We The Animals by Justin Torres
- The Female Man by Joanna Russ
- Spin by Robert Charles Watson
- The Boneless Mercies by April Genevieve Tucholke
- The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber